Our History

1880

Company was founded by Guy Shanks and Andrew McEwan as a construction company operating primarily in the West of Scotland under the name of Shanks & McEwan.

1988

Acquired London Brick Landfill, beginning a shift towards becoming a focused waste management firm.

Became a public company with a listing on the London Stock Exchange.

Mid 1990's

Sold remaining construction interests to concentrate solely on waste management.

1998

Purchased waste management of Sita in Belgium.

1999

Changed its name to Shanks Group plc.

2000

Bought Waste Management Nederland B.V. in the Netherlands.

Group tops £500 million in sales for first time.

2001

Secured 25-year contract with Argyll & Bute Council for the management of the council's waste.

2002

Completion of the 25-year PFI waste contract with East London Waste Authority (ELWA).

2004

Sold its UK landfill and landfill gas power assets to private equity firm Terra Firma.

2006

Purchased Smink Beheer B.V. in the Netherlands.

Confirmed by Cumbria County Council as preferred bidder for a 25 year PFI contract to treat the Council's waste.

2007

Acquired Orgaworld organic processing business.

2009

Announced £71m Rights Issue.

2010

Shanks takes on United Utilities' PFI Waste Business.

2011

Selected as Preferred Bidder for BDR (Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster) PFI.

Opened a number of waste treatment facilities including our Cumbria MBT, Kettering MRF, Glasgow MRF2 and Cumbernauld AD Facility.

2012

Acquired Van Tuijl in the Netherlands.

Reached Financial Close on the BDR (Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster) PFI.

Business re-organised into market-facing divisions.

2013

Reached financial close on Wakefield PFI project.

Opened MBT facility in Barrow, Cumbria.

Exited UK Solid Waste market

2014

Completed sale of solid waste business including sale of Blochairn facility in Glasgow to Glasgow City Council